Blessings on the Menorah Fifth Night
Messianic Judaism honors both the Jewish faith of God’s Chosen People, commemorating various commandments given and events occurring in the history of Israel as well as the coming of the Messiah, Yeshua (Jesus). After the Temple’s defilement, there was only enough oil to burn in the menorah for one day, but it miraculously burned for eight days until more consecrated oil could be made. Chanukah is also called the Festival of Lights. As five Chanukah candles are lit tonight, Messianic Jews repeat the Chanukah blessings as we are reminded that Yeshua is the Light of the world given to us that we might come into a right relationship with the Father God. Our faithful God is good in every way and we praise and thank Him!
Before kindling the Chanukah lights on the first night of Chanukah, Tuesday December 16, 2014, (or if you’re kindling the Chanukah lights for the first time this year) recite all three blessings. On every subsequent night only the first two are recited.
Recited only on the first night (or the first time lighting this Chanukah):
1. Ba-ruch A-tah Ado-nai E-lo-he-nu Me-lech ha-olam a-sher ki-de-sha-nu be-mitz-vo-tav ve-tzi-va-nu le-had-lik ner Cha-nu-kah.
2. Ba-ruch A-tah Ado-nai E-lo-he-nu Me-lech Ha-olam she-a-sa ni-sim la-avo-te-nu ba-ya-mim ha-hem bi-zman ha-zeh.
3. Ba-ruch A-tah Ado-nai E-lo-he-nu Me-lech Ha-olam she-heche-ya-nu ve-ki-yi-ma-nu ve-higi-a-nu liz-man ha-zeh.
1. Blessed are You, Lord our G-d, King of the universe, who has sanctified us with His commandments, and commanded us to kindle the Chanukah light.
2. Blessed are You, Lord our G-d, King of the universe, who performed miracles for our forefathers in those days, at this time.
3. Blessed are You, Lord our G-d, King of the universe, who has granted us life, sustained us, and enabled us to reach this occasion.
Scripture Readings & Prayer
“Every good thing given and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shifting shadow.” – James 1:17
God, You are the Father of Lights, faithful, steadfast, and unchanging. Thank You for Your truth, Your holiness, and Your light. Thank You for the good gifts You give us. They surround us every day; teach us to see them. Teach us to be truly thankful. Give us a heart that desires gratitude and pursues eyes to see Your countless gifts. As we see Your goodness to us in a myriad of ways each day, we will grow closer to You, loving You and dedicating our trust to You. Give us eyes to see Your gifts to us each day.